Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.horology,uk.d-i-y
Christopher Tidy

Default Accuracy of UK power grid time control?

John G wrote:

snip

You did not tell us what the drive mechanism is.

I did but you probably missed it in my second post. It's a stepper
motor, as I believe is common on many slave dials made in continental
Europe, but relatively uncommon in the UK.

If it is for your bedroom you may not want it after the first few hours
as the electromagnet noise will drive you bonkers.

The noise is almost all produced by a ratchet which prevents reverse
rotation of the rotor. It isn't quite as disturbing as the "clunk-click"
of the Gent mechanisms - it's more of a muffled "kerthunk".

Chris