Cuezilla

Default Just got a QC tool post, have a question.

This hole is in the main body of the tool. All the parts are there and
the hight adjustments work. I was just curious. Maybe it is for
mounting something. When I said the tool was not repeatable, I meant
you can move the tool holder back and forth and then tighten the
handle and it will stay in whatever position it happens to be in. You
can move it around a good .020. It does not really matter for what I
do, but since it is a tool I will probably use for many years, I think
it is worth getting the better wedge style for the little extra money.
I am not a tool junkie, but I like nice stuff, and I was just a
little disappointed in the tool.

(Roy) wrote in message .. .
On 5 Nov 2003 17:14:42 -0800,
(Cuezilla) wrote:

===Just got a Phase II tool post piston type. I like it a lot but I see
===the difference with it's repeatability. You have to hold the tool
===holder in position the same each time to be as close as you can be
===before you tighten it. Not bad though but the next one for my other
===lathe will be a wedge. Anyway, it has a threaded hole in one side of
===it. This may be a dumb question but, what is it for?

There should be a studf in that threaded hole with a nut, washer and a
knurled nut as well. Once the tool height is established you lock the
hex nut against the knurled nut after contacting thr top of the tool
post with the knurled nut. That gives repeatability on height. Sounds
like you maay be missing some parts for your tool holders. Most I
have seen even the import knockoffs of Doprian and Aloris models have
3/8"-24 threaded studs........which you can pick up at Lowes etc in
the special fastener boxes they have in the nuts and bolts department,
or even HD. I would double check to make sure they are not metric
though. You can also get mny for now with just two hex nuts, and make
some knurled nuts to fit. A good project on a lathe is making some
knurled nuts.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.