Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Big scrap motors

RoyJ wrote:
Just mulling over the next project (wind generator if you must know!) I
need to find the field winding CORE (the steel, not the copper!) that
surrounds the armature. The thought is to buy a suitable scrap motor,
cut the copper out, (sell it!!), cut the field core apart and rewind to
my specs. I really only need about an inch of core but roughly 12"
inside diameter and 24 to 32 poles.

So the questions: what size motor do I need to look for that uses a 12
inche diameter rotor? How many poles will I find on same?

It will be a *big* motor. Most I've seen
tend to grow longer with increased hp after
a certain point. I'd offer a wild-assed
guess of 25 hp minimum.