Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Default Printing on card

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
Hey all,

i am a new committee member of a car club and have been given the job of
printing off 200 car passes. they will be of post card size and in colour.
my laser printer only prints in monotone, i have looked into getting a
colour laser printer but they don't say if they can print on card. The card
needs to be of post card thickness really or they will feel to flimsy. Is
there any other options out there i.e. printing firms or printers known to
print on card ok?

The best solution for printing on card stock is a Xerox Phaser. You can
expect to shell out a few hundred to a thousand for one of these
printers. On the good side it produces excellent quality photographic
reproduction on plain paper and card and Xerox used to demonstrate the
printers printing onto metal, card and even toilet paper.

If you can't run to that, then the Epson 2100/2400 series of printers
have a stright through paper path and can print on very heavy material.
I print folders for a client using a 2100 and the paper is 320gsm folded
in half and the printer copes fine. I use the "CD" setting designed
printing on CD to get the paper into the printer, line it up with
printhead, close the paper handling lever to its heavy material setting
and print - problem free. Cost of printer was about £300 IIRC.

Alternatively print on paper and then laminate it to make it more rigid
and durable.