Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Horribly OT - PC Advice

John Cartmell wrote:
Grunff wrote:

[about computers that should be built to last 5-10 years but which reside
within a system that forces users to replace machines much more frequently to
the detriment of users' pockets and the environment]

Even so, each machine will only have a lifetime of 2-3 years.

In that case there is something badly wrong with the system.

Not at all, technology moves on. There's nothing inherently wrong with
the system, it's just 'old hat'.

I refresh my boxes every 2 - 3 years, usually with a new OS if
available. It doesn't help that I work in IT too, so my home box needs
to keep up with my work box.

Then all my castoffs cascade back down the family tree mine goes to
sister, sisters goes to dad, ending up with nephews and nieces who are
glad to get their hands on a 'pooter.

All recycled.

Cheers,

Paul (Pentium 4 1.8, 1Gb RAM)

Hmm, that's getting on a bit now too ...