Posted to misc.consumers.house
Travis Jordan

Default Why does black water come out of our faucet?

wrote:
We have a new house in the country. Our well water has sulphur so our
pump guy installed a chlorinator. The house is plumbed with copper
pipes. We have been having trouble in getting the right amount of
chlorine in the water. It seems that some days we have too little and
can still smell the sulphur. Other days we have too much chlorine.
Every once in a while, when we open a faucet, the water that comes out
is black. It usually only lasts for a few seconds and then clears up.
I asked the pump/chlorinator guy what is going on and he says that it
happens when we get too much chlorine. I called a water testing
company and they said it is probably coming from the sulphur. Has
anyone had a similar experience and do you know what is going on and
how to stop/control it? Any advice will be appreciated.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0790/WQ2.3.5.pdf