Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy pipes -- should I worry?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"H" wrote in message
news:ExR%f.19$JY5.4@trnddc01...
I had my bathroom refurbished about 5 years ago. All is well, except for
one new thing that started last night.

When I run the hot water, the pipes apparently start to shift in the
wall. This has not happened prior to last night. It is loud. It
sounds like the joists are being pried apart while the water gets hotter,
and a very loud drip while it is cooling down. When the water cools in
the pipes, the sounds stop.

Should I worry?

Thanks.

Do you have a pressure regulator somewhere along the incoming pipe? Might
be going bad. Call your water authority. Sometimes they'll stop by and
test the pressure at no charge. It should be tested before AND after the
regulator.

No pressure regulator, but this isn't a water knock. It's just creaking.
Loudly.