Posted to alt.home.repair
Budman

Default (Garage) Making your own foundation?

Aaron wrote:
I am in the initial planning phases of building an attached garage. Has
anyone created their own foundation for such a structure. I have been
involved in framing a structure but not the actual foundation building and I
wanted to know if this was something beyond the scope of a DIY'er. I am
aware of all the basics that go into making footings and concrete slabs but
I am specifically interested in gotchas or things like grading the land
especially if there is a steep slope to content with, thanks.

The biggest problem you will likely face is working/finishing the slab.
You could do the footers as with them it is all in the setup, but once
you pour a slab you don't have much time to work it yourself.

I would personally sub out the foundation - if not, at least hire some
finishers for the slab. Plus, excavating/grading/sub-base will not
likely be a piece of cake.

Budman