Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Neil J. Harris

Default ultrasonic cleaner not working

The silver was in the epoxy, it made the epoxy electrically conductive.
The transducers were like a big ceramic capacitors with metalising on
both sides. I seem to remember that when the transducers became detached
some of this metalising came away from the transducer. Using the silver
loaded epoxy to re-attach the transducer fixed this as well. I remember
talking to a bloke at Araldite about it. They made a specific product
for this application but it was not readily available in small
quantities, so we used a similar product from RS Components. (Also made
by Araldite.)
I've had a look at the RS website but I can't see the product I used, it
was 30 years ago! they do list a silver loaded product but it seems to
be American. Araldite have long since shut up shop in Birmingham (UK).
It may well be an abandoned technology by now. The electronics industry
was a big user or ultrasonic cleaners, but its all "no-clean" stuff now
(and all gone to China!)

In message . com,
nortonfan writes
Neil,

Silver-loaded epoxy? Was this part of the composition of the epoxy
type, or was it something added into the mix during application?

Thanks,
Norman

--
Neil J. Harris