Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default alternative to drywall ?

In article ubN%f.894691$x96.132403@attbi_s72,
"Dan Bollinger" wrote:

There are two types of plastic wall panels. Both are code rated, they have a
fire-retardant. One is a white gel-coated fiberglass panel frequently seen
on
the interiors of wall-in coolers. Their great advantage is that it is easy to
wipe mold and mildew off of them. Comes only in refrigerator white. 4x8

The second are PVC textured sheets. You see this in hospitals and commercial
buildings. Comes in dozens of colors. 4x8

Those are good suggestions, Don. Since my turnery is in my basement, I
try to keep it pretty clean with sweeping up daily and brushing or
wiping the walls down pretty frequently. I painted the drywall with a
gloss white latex so it would be more durable to wet wiping. The problem
is developing that the wet-wood-stripe is staining the paint - and that
just don't look right. The plastic overlay panels would solve that
problem and I'd think be pretty durable with the drywall backing it up.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.