Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is maple a safe long term choice for a kitchen?

Maybe this is an impossible question! We're getting a new kitchen and
want a design that we not only like, but will not look hideously dated
in 5 or even 10 years time. We thought that was the case with our
current one when we installed it 10 years ago (a dark, shiny,
"cathedral" sculpted oak, admittedly cheap). Now it looks dated and
dowdy.

My thinking is that a natural wood finish is still a reasonably safe
choice. And given we want a lighter finish, maple seems like a good
choice (plus, we've seen one we like at a good price). Or is it a bit
too "Ikea-like"?

Can anyone look into their crystal ball and offer an opinion?