Ed Huntress

Default Making Woodworking Tools

"Jamrelliot" wrote in message
I am getting into woodworking and I would like to make some of my own

tools.

Could any of you gentlemen tell me if it is feasable to try to grind or

mill a
groove in 4142 steel with a 16 inch drillpress? If so, what kind of

cooling
fluid would I need? Or would it be easier to grind the groove with a angle
grinder in some sort of holding jig?

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated!!!!!!

TIA
Jim

If you're trying to make a gouge, there are better ways to do it. If you're
at all serious about it, there was a book published back in the '70s that
was all about making carving tools, and it was written for the beginner.

The title is _The Making Of Tools_, by Alexander G. Weygers. I've seen it in
libraries; Amazon claims to have a few copies, probably used, and the price
is less than $10.

It will tell you how to choose a useful steel for the job; how to shape it;
how to heat-treat it; how to affix handles and how to sharpen it. A good
book. I'm critical about how-to books in general, and especially about books
that purport to teach you how to heat-treat a piece of steel with a torch,
but this one is the real thing.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)