Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,misc.consumers.frugal-living
daestrom

Default GFX vs home brew

wrote in message
Robert Gammon wrote:

Nick uses a LONG, SLOW moving body of water to extract heat. So in many
ways, it resembles a air conditioning condenser coil.

It also resembles a chair, if you wrap enough cotton gauze around both :-)

... His heat exchanger will need to be cleaned out periodically of gunk,
especially if toilets drain thru the same heat exchanger.

Not a good idea. It wouldn't make a good wheelchair either.

He argues that his will extract more heat than the GFX, and that may be
true

Physics clearly tells me so. She seems to lie to you. How fickle.

Actually, mis-applied formulae from a text book seems to be what is talking
to you again Nick ;-)

If you run your same calculations with a simple flow rate of 2 gpm (a
typical shower flow), what do your 'physics' tell you?

The fact that the answer is much different than when you run your 50 gpd
flow rate numbers should prompt you to pause and 'thick harder'.

While I agree that 'batch' flows that do not fully purge your apparatus will
give you some improvements, we haven't seenn any of your 'numbers' for that.
Quoting ASHRAE formulae that are intended for continuous flow when you
*know* you won't have that sort of flow rate is a waste of everybody's time.

daestrom