Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Default Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder?

I largely agree with most of the previous, with one caveat- lead is a
serious matter. The EPA considers it the no. 1 environmental health
threat. Especially, of course, in the case of pregnant women/ young
children. It is cumulative, causes mental deficits in very small
amounts, organ problems in larger amounts. That said, you are probably
fine with the advice given, but go ahead and have water tested if you
like. In many older cities, there really is a problem- with lead pipe
being the connection from street to house. Not everyone knows to
filter/ or simply flush out line in AM- which can take several
minutes(in the case above, less if just flushing out lead-soldered
domestic copper pipes). Depending on your plumbing setup, you can use
the water to fill your washer, if you don't want to waste it. You'd
still have run some out the kitchen faucet, of course. Lead levels can
be much higher in hot water- I'd say don't use it for cooking or
drinking.