Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default (Garage) Making your own foundation?

Cracking is unavoidable, provide ample stress relief cuts in the pour. Use
wire fabric or rebar. Try to pour it (each part) all at once or at least
within 1 hour, this may require a delivery of premixed or rental of a larger
(1 yard) mixer.

I don't understand why people insist on this. For a long skinny
sidewalk, maybe. I mean, I could do it, but it would be cheaper
and easier to just build a raised steel walkway. But there's no
excuse for not being able to pour a simple floating slab the size
of a one car garage without it cracking.

People have built oil tankers out of concrete. It's just a question
of making the extra effort.