Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

1) Did plumbing solder in 1953 contain lead?

Yes, usually 50% lead solder. Good stuff.

.... snip, snip
..... response
a time over lead that potentially contaminates it. Flush a toilet or two
and the water sitting in the pipes overnight is gone and you have good water
again.

My thought here is to just run enough water so that the pipe between
the faucet and the water supply entrance to the house is emptied out.
In my kitchen, I figure this to be about 2 quarts. At least the way
my house is plumbed, and I suspect others as well, I would think that
flushing the toilet would not help bring a fresh water supply to my
kitchen faucet.
Now, there is one other issue: As a plumber friend of mine once
suggested, in some places the old city supply lines expose the
water supply to your house to lead, in which case my perhaps
superstitious practice of running out 2 qt. of water in the morning
wouldn't much matter :-}

--
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523