Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder?

wrote in message

1) Did plumbing solder in 1953 contain lead?

Yes, usually 50% lead solder. Good stuff.

2) Can I test some of the solder blobs easily?

Sure, but why bother. l It has lead.

3) Should I consider replacing all of the pipes in my house? (Note: I
have a small ranch house with easy access to all of the plumbing; this
would not be a difficult job for me.)

Of course not. My last house had a lead pipe as the main water line from
the street. Tens of thousands of houses built in the 1940's had lead pipes.
We all survived. If you are paranoid about it, it is the water sitting for
a time over lead that potentially contaminates it. Flush a toilet or two
and the water sitting in the pipes overnight is gone and you have good water
again.