Posted to alt.home.repair
L. M. Rappaport

Default Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder?

On 14 Apr 2006 06:32:41 -0700, wrote (with
possible editing):

In removing a gate value for the hose in my garage this morning I had
to heat one of the copper joints to remove it and I noticed how easily
the solder melted and flowed. So I wonder if there is some amount of
lead in it.

My house was built in 1953 and my guess is that this pipe joint is
original, so...

1) Did plumbing solder in 1953 contain lead?

Yes.

2) Can I test some of the solder blobs easily?

Not certain if there is a simple test.

3) Should I consider replacing all of the pipes in my house? (Note: I
have a small ranch house with easy access to all of the plumbing; this
would not be a difficult job for me.)

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't bother for two reasons:

1. The likelihood of significant exposure to lead is tiny.
Lead was used in solder for years and it didn't appear to have any
significant effect on life span.

2. The exposure to lead via plumbing is tiny - it can be only
at the joints and if those were done by a professional, there is damn
little lead in contact with the water.

--

Larry

Mike