Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Hot Water Heater: Gas vs. Electric

"Godzillarama" wrote in message
Either way, it's time to do something about The Hot Water Heater Issue.
I'm inclined to get an electric hot water heater instead of gas. We have
220 line nearby so the wiring wouldn't be too bad. We have 2300 square
feet and four baths. Previously posts on this topic are consistent that
gas should be cheaper; but is it still? What would you do?

I'd stick with gas. I don't know your local rates, but here in CT, electric
is much more expensive. Gas has faster recovery, is more economical. Is
that 220 line sufficient for the amp draw of the heater?

There is no accounting for irrational fears of gas though. If the pilot is
blowing out due to the attic fan, you have to be sure proper air intake is
provided, not the fault of the gas heater.