Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Rebuilding Dumore toolpost grinders (was: FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, ... )

According to Joseph Gwinn :
In article , "Glenn"
wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

No wonder I've been having trouble keeping track of which of
you posted what. Both of you have names which start with 'G', end in
'n', and are in the 4-5 character range. :-)

[ ... ]

What acrobat said when I saved the file was that it was removing empty
space. ??

I don't really know what acrobat means by this, but speculate that it
uses a convenient temporary file format while building the file, then
goes back and closes up the space that turned out not to be needed.

If you have scanned a B&W line drawing -- no colors, just B&W,
and saved to TIFF (which unlike JPEG does not cloud the space near lines
with various shades of gray), you will have a quite large file, as TIFF
has no compression.

One way to save space in this sort of situation is to skip over
areas which are plain white. I don't think that TIFF or JPEG have this
option, but PostScript may, and PDF (which you reach through an
intermediate PostScript conversion -- hidden from you by the Adobe
software). So -- "removing empty space" means exactly that -- deleting
all of those bytes of white, and replacing them with code to "treat the
next N bytes as white". I wonder whether it can do the same with an
image which is white text on a black background?

BTW I've now made my copy of the "chuck" -- thanks to your scans and
measurements.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564