Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Default Reusing a compression joint..?

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

PTFE tape is not for compression joints. Use Boss White.

--
Nigel M

Wrong. Been using PTFE tape on
Compression Joints (where needed) for 30
years. Boss White is not suitable for
potable water. Must conform to BS
6920, it doesnt. see www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/MISBW.html

He is right. PTFE should not be used on brass compression joints. There
are potable version of jointing paste. This should be used and only a smear
between the body of the fitting and the olive.. Do you put PTFE on the
threads of a compression joint?

Why shouldn't PTFE tape be put on compression joints ? If I've got any
concerns about one, I put a couple of wrpas round the nose of the pipe
such that it just covers the olive.

And as for the tosh about work hardening !!! Once the olive has been
compressed onto the pipe' it's not going to change in dimension again -
the metal to metal seal has been made and the seal thereafter is
between the olive and the fitting, which might require some assistance
in the form of PTFE or paste.

I've never had any problem with re-suing compression fittings - in fact
I'm mean enough that I've recycled various bits of off-cuts that have
olives on them and never had a problem.

Rob