Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default treated lumber

wrote:
-snip-
First understand "treated" doesn't mean anything until you get the
density of the treatment. I am not familiar with the new ACQ but back
in the CCA days typical orange box PT was .4 or .6 cca with some promo
stuff that was only .25

-snip-

I agree! I have a fence with treated 4x4's that I put up 20 years
ago. They are showing no sign of rot above or below ground.

A deck I put up 10 yrs later has some serious checking- and I've
replaced a couple boards. All PT is not created equal.

Jim
[and to the OP-- if you're only thinking about less than 5 years your
peoblem won't be rot--- just make sure it is engineered so it holds
back what you're trying to retain.]