Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default (Garage) Making your own foundation?

"Aaron" wrote in message
I am in the initial planning phases of building an attached garage. Has
anyone created their own foundation for such a structure. I have been
involved in framing a structure but not the actual foundation building and
I wanted to know if this was something beyond the scope of a DIY'er. I am
aware of all the basics that go into making footings and concrete slabs but
I am specifically interested in gotchas or things like grading the land
especially if there is a steep slope to content with, thanks.

If you are going to put the slab on a slope, you need to level the site
first. Removing soil is easy but if you need to build up, do it with base
rock and do it 3-5" at a time, compacting between each layer to assure a
solid base.

For example if the site is clay, don't just scrape off the high spot to fill
in the slope, you need to use a more stable fill like base rock. Do not
build on uncompacted disturbed soil, use a t least 2-4" of base rock over
even undisturbed soil. This is a garage, so it will see a heavy load (as
opposed to a shed) you will need 4" maybe up to 6" of concrete if the
vehicle is very heavy.

Cracking is unavoidable, provide ample stress relief cuts in the pour. Use
wire fabric or rebar. Try to pour it (each part) all at once or at least
within 1 hour, this may require a delivery of premixed or rental of a larger
(1 yard) mixer.