Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default alternative to drywall ?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:30:22 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
l (Miko the pooch) wrote:
I might go this route. I was hoping there was some other cheap
but lightweight material. But being in the basement I am very concerned about
safety. I'll just have to take my time.

Well, run the cementboard price through your estimate. If it gets wet
(basement flooding, plumbing problem, etc) it laughs it off (using
galvanized deck screws to attach it will help it not show anything). It
takes significantly more impact to damage it. In these ways it's better
than drywall, which somewhat justifies the price, and it's already in
smaller pieces.

Ahh- another one. Right next to the cement board, there's some
thinner fiber underlayment stuff that is a whole lot easier to cut,
runs a little more than drywall and comes in 3' x 5' peices. Probably
a better choice for wall covering than the old concrete board.