Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Need some hydraulic engineering info...

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message
Gang,
Some of you out there are pretty good with hydraulics, so here
is something I need a little help with....
I have a chunk of aluminum, with a bore of .696 inches. I need to
make a small piston with two "o" rings around it to fit down into the
bore to be used with hydraulics. Since the main device is aluminum,
I wanted to make the piston from steel, but I'm not sure of the kind
of clearance I should have. I was thinking of about a thou, then I
was thinking that when the steel and aluminum got warmed up, that my
clearance would diminish enough that the piston would bind up in the
bore. Any advice? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
BTW, hydraulic pressure will only be applied to ONE end of the piston
and it will be returned to original resting position by a spring
behind the piston.
Ken.

How much pressure? How long stroke? Why steel? Why .696"? Blow out the
bore to .75" would allow you to use off-shelf parts.