Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Keeley

Default Problems bending 0.080" 6061 T6 sheet?

I aways hate when someone asks a question on some forum and gets a
bunch of great advise and never reports on the outcome, sooooo...

Turns out the bend is about 103 degrees. I tryed to bend the piece as
is, it cracked. Tryed marking with a sharpie and heating with a
torch until the ink burned, that worked much better but there were
still noticable stress cracks in the bend.

I found some info saying to anneal 6061 you heat to 775F for 2-3 hrs.
then slowly cool, so I put a piece in my self cleaning oven and
letter rip. I know it doesn't get that hot but might get to 700 or
so. Guess what, a nice sharp bend with no stress cracks. I read
also it should harden again over time, not to T6 of course, but
harder than it is now.

Thanks again, great minds here!