Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Default 'hand' die cut threads ; 1/2" NC .... ??how??

As an alternative to this but basically the same idea is to grind 3 flats
spots so you can hold the stock FIRMLY in a jacobs chuck in the tail stock,
Stick the die in the lathe chuck (3 jaw works nicely for hex dies collet
works well for round ones) and run the stock through that way.

I do a LOT of threading of 1/4 brass with 5-40 and I can make 'all thread'
like you wouldn't believe this way under power... I also have a small collet
holder I can put in the tailstock so holding up to 1/4 is a breeze.

--.- Dave

"spaco" wrote in message
I agree with the other posters about chamfering the end, to about 45
degrees, down to the root diameter of the thread or even a little less.
I do have a lathe, so I chuck the stock to be threaded, lock the chuck,
apply the die/ die stock to the work and use the tailstock ram to gently
push and align the die with the stock. If you have enough hands, you can
crank the tailstock ram gently as you begin threading. If you can't do
both, turn a little, bring tailstock ram up, turn a little more, etc.. I
keep the "pressure" on for about 2 turns. This has worked well for me for
many years, even up to 3/4-10. Without a lathe, maybe you can use this
general idea to make a simple fixture to do the same thing. Clamping the
stock vertically, pointing up through your drill press table comes to
mind.

Needless to say , you need a sharp die and not one of those rethreading
dies that are just used for cleaning up an existing thread.

Pete Stanaitis

0_Qed wrote:
Readership ,

How do you hand-cut 1/2" NC( 13tpi ) with a plain vanila tap & die set
??? Whats the 'secret' to geting the 'die' started properly ??? cold
rolled rnd stock.

Ed