Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bizarre reason for RCD nuisance tripping...

Andy Wade wrote:
wrote:

lol, weird! Just goes to prove v-ELCBs are better than RCDs

Ah, you were right all along... ;-)

Actually though, something about the story doesn't quite ring true, &
I'm not sure whether to believe it.

If the bedside lampholder was plastic bodied and/or unearthed, most of
the shock current would be phase-neutral. I'd be surprised if there was
enough earth leakage to trip a (presumably) 30 mA RCD, unless her bed
was rather damp.

thats one option I dont want to think about, Or it may have been a
metal frame bed.

If the lampholder was earthed metal, why did the old ELCB not trip?

I suppose that a plastic/unearthed lampholder, replaced with earthed
metal after the re-wiring would explain it though.

Theres not much likelihood touching the pins would trip a voltage
operated ELCB. One of those would only trip when so much current flowed
that the earth electrode voltage rose up to 25-50v ac. That means quite
a lot of current.

Having had enough shocks for one lifetime, I find it hard to belive
anyone would do that on purpose day after day. Wasnt on 110 was she?

NT