Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Default Cedar Fading in the sun

dnoyeB wrote:
I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because
its supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals
used in treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a
rather unsightly greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with
something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

Well, you could pressure wash it. Then it will be back to the
original color, but it will be furry and unsightly.

You could wash it with one of those "cedar restorers", but
then it would be bright orange.

Your best bet is to find a penetrating stain that you can
stain it with. Sherwin williams has a cedartone that does a
good job with old cedar. It won't look exactly like new, but
very close. I don't think there are any problems with it
killing kids, but you will have to look that up yourself.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/sherwin_williams_paint/sherwin_williams_paints/exterior_paint/stains.jsp

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.