Posted to alt.home.repair

Default treated lumber

On 13 Apr 2006 04:30:29 -0700, "
wrote:

buy only the best treated wood and assume it will fail eventually. I
have some on a porch thats totally disappeared, a friends neighbor
built a 8 foot high treated wood stone wall about 10 years ago. the
wood is just a shell ands is completely gone in some places.

do realize treated wood is now looked at like asbestos was befire it
was banned. as a cancer general health risk. one day it might have to
be removed by certified workers in moon suits and the contaminated soil
hauled away to a hazardous waste landfill...hard to sell homes with
such hazards....

I always eat my meals by placing the food directly on a piece of
treated wood. In fact I am going to have some dinner plates made out
of treated wood.......

On a more serious note. Treated wood is not dangerous once it's been
rained on a few times, and you dont eat it. It's the government that
makes these laws that are dangerous. With that said, the chemical
used to treat the wood is dangerous if it enters water and will kill
fish. Unless you consume it, or water contaninated with it, I would
not get too worried about it. Just wash your hands after you work
with it, before eating. Do not burn the scraps.

your better off with stone brick etc

Yes, it will last longer, but concrete products tend to crack easier
from freeze-thaw, and being they can not be nailed or fastened as
easily, pieces fall off easier. Railroad ties are better than treated
wood AND concrete products in my opinion.

but ideally you just reslope the area, no matter how good you build a
wall eventually they fail.

Correct, but much depends on the way it's built too, and remember to
use galvanized nails or the nails will fail before the wood.

To the OP, Kilz wont help at all. Rather take some liquid roofing tar
and coat the back of the treated wood. Just brush it on. Thin it
with some mineral spirits or another solvent (such as gasoline) if
necessary. If you thin with gasoline, do it safely......