Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nortonfan

Default ultrasonic cleaner not working

Fred,

I searched for silver charged epoxies and did find several types. I've
also searched the web and found no contact information for Bulova
ultrasonic cleaners. There is an address, however, for the watch line.
Before I began taking a screwdriver to it, I wanted to have a firm
understanding of its operation and a realiable source for parts.
Thanks to fellows like you, this job is not as daunting as I once
envisioned. However, I still have no sources for parts nor significant
technical information on this particular unit. A similar unit to the
one I have is presently on Ebay for well over $200 and will probably
exceed that, considerably, during the feeding frenzy of the last
minutes of auction.

I've replaced the blown diodes and the protection fuse and powered the
unit. It makes a rather annoying buzzing sound, not as loud as an old
doorbell buzzer - but, annoying, nonetheless. My concern is that if
the epoxy joint has cracked (though I have not seen any cracks), this
would lead to failure of the transducer. I would prefer to prevent
this possibility and, at the same time, I'm a bit gun-shy of tampering
with it for fear of making things worse. The old wisdom of "if it
works, don't fix it." Maybe, it's supposed to make the buzzing sound?

Thanks,
Norman