Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default bending titanium rod

wrote:

It should hot bend just fine- just dont get it too hot, or it will
oxidize- you dont need to get it red.

I hot twisted some 1 1/2" square titanium bar for some guys a while ago
on my twisting machine- we got it dull red, didnt even glow in
daylight, but in shadow you could see it dull red, then twisted it real
tight.
It definitely moves a lot easier when hot.

I spoke with a blacksmith that was making forged titanium tongs. He
said that it was really easy to tell when it was too cool to continue
forging. The metal would move well when hot enough, and hitting it after
it cooled past the point, was just a poor way to exercise.

Cheers
Trevor Jones