Posted to misc.consumers.house
user

Default Urgent: Martha Stewart/KB Homes in NC? Pull out now?

On 13 Apr 2006 07:58:23 -0700, Chai wrote:
There are more considerations than thinking a house might fall down
(which no, I don't believe that, but structural defects, mold, and
other issues are not uncommon). One's legal recourse is extremely
limited when working with a major home builder -- one is bound by
arbitration/mediation. This is a HUGE deal and personal investment. I
believe this requires more careful thought and consideration. There is
no rush where I HAVE TO purchase right now. Yes perhaps I have classic
buyer's remorse...or perhaps more than that.

This is a community that will be 650 homes. The rollout will be over 2
years. I have some issues with my ability to resell the house (while
new homes are still being built) if I lose my job. And yes, losing my
job is a possibility as I work in a very volatile industry in a dept
that *could be* cut. I would be S.O.L. if I was in a home that
stretched my financial abilities and then I lost my job and then
couldn't easily sell because buyers have the option of building their
own BRAND NEW home. These, I believe, are valid concerns.

Just about *ANYONE* can lose their jobs, at any time. There is nothing
unique or unusual in that.

If you're "in a home that stretched my financial abilities", then, by
definition, you bought too much house already, and the loss of a job
should be the least of your worries, unless you have consciously
used it as an investment in a hot market and were going to flip it,
anyhow.

Yes, there is risk in a house purchase. But the risk can almost
always be mitigated to a large extent by good planning, and taking
all of the meaningful factors in your personal situation into account.

As for the house construction itself - yes, if they're really
putting up 650 in one complex along in 2 years, they're not exactly
going to be doing it with the attention to detail of an old-world
craftsman. I looked at some KB homes when I was considering moving
down south a few years ago, and let's just say that I prefer things
like cabinets that are hung level and crown molding that isn't
upside down ( though, that was not such a big problem, since
they seemed to be using caulk as the only fastener... )

And when you do finally make a serious attempt at house
shopping, don't just look at new construction. There are many,
many excellent older homes that in many ways, are superior, especially
when it comes to the details that differentiate a house
that has been built with care, as opposed to a bunch of walls
slapped together in three weeks.

- Rich