Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Mulvey

Default Advice on rotary hammer and foundation drilling

On 2006-04-12, Tim Mulvey wrote:

Why can't you use wedge anchors?

The short answer is that my approved permit plans call for epoxy
anchors. The long answer is that while I haven't checked the numbers,
I am under the impression that epoxy anchors are much stronger. I'm
in a seismic zone.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, I saw you going with Simpson products. Their wedge anchor is tested
tested under ICBO's AC01 Acceptance Criteria for Expansion Anchors and is
rated to withstand seismic,wind, tensile,and shear loading as are other
anchors. The epoxy bond strength is greater than wedges, but the tensile
strength of the rods are another story. Of the rod that Simpson has, 2 out
of 3 are weaker than wedges. The other is about 15% stronger.

Tim