Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Anyone ever rebuild a 760 pellet gun?

wayne mak wrote:
I know its not a real gun but it helps keep the pests out of the bird
feeder, I have a Crossman 760 from when I was just a little kid I am now
over 40 and it just doesn't have power (for a pellet gun) I went to walmart
to buy a new one but they are just a plastic POS with a metal barrol. I like
the heavy solid feel my old all metal and wood 760 has but its a real dud
these days. Can these things be brought back to live or is it just a piece
of my past.

Wayne
Parallel paths here. I've had a Cometa pelletgun since I was about
9 (Christmas present). Rediscovered it recently and am about to start
rebuilding it. In the meantime, I stopped by the local Sports Authority
store and they had a Benjamin Legacy 1000X on clearance for $105. 100
fps, scope,all American-made, wood stock, not much plastic. Full-size
gun with lots of punch. I've enjoyed it a lot in the month I've had it,
sitting on the deck and making holes in tin cans and paper targets. No
rabbits around here, and the wife won't let me shoot the squirrels, but
crows and starlings are fair game. And if that noisy min-pin behind me
wanders into my yard again .... j/k

Rebuild your Crossman. Some of the links others offered will give
you some ideas on tuning it, much of which lends itself to lathe work.
Tuning results in higher velocity and lower recoil. Enjoy the
project, as I am looking forward to mine.