Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Default Anyone ever rebuild a 760 pellet gun?

wayne mak wrote:

I know its not a real gun but it helps keep the pests out of the bird
feeder, I have a Crossman 760 from when I was just a little kid I am now
over 40 and it just doesn't have power (for a pellet gun) I went to
walmart to buy a new one but they are just a plastic POS with a metal
barrol. I like the heavy solid feel my old all metal and wood 760 has but
its a real dud these days. Can these things be brought back to live or is
it just a piece of my past.

Crosman has a list of service centers on their Web site
http://www.crosman.com. They also list the order numbers for the parts
diagrams--the design has gone through some changes so make sure you get the
right one.

Odds are that it just needs some new seals.

Before you put money into fixing it though, you might want to take a look at
the compasseco http://www.compasseco.com, beeman http://www.beeman.com,
and Cobra http://www.airgunsbbguns.com sites and see what's
available--air rifle technology has made massive strides in the past 40
years.

You can get into an older design barrel-cocking El Gamo for about the same
price as one of the toys from Wal-Mart, or if you've reached a point in
life where you can afford an expensive toy you might want to look into
"last year's model" target guns from Feinwerkbau and Anschutz (since air
rifle became an Olympic event it has become a _very_ competitive market).

Don't be too put off by plastic stocks by the way--they work fine and most
military rifles these days are so equipped because they're lighter,
stronger, require less maintenance, and are cheaper than wood. Of course
the plastic the military uses is likely a bit different from that that you
find on a cheap airgun.

Many years ago I indulged myself in a Feinwerkbau 300S, which is quite a
remarkable piece of hardware. Quite accurate enough to pick wasps off a
nest.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate