Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Default Washing machine stuck mid-cycle

Thanks for the suggestions. A quick update: The controller is just a
rotary encoder with a syncro-motor attached. I took out the
syncro-motor and tested it seperately - it works OK. I also cleaned all
the contacts on the encoder. Still the same problem. I took the pcb out
and resoldered any dodgy-looking joints (why is it that domestic
appliances have *such* bad soldering on their PCBs? I work in
electronics and I would never allow a product to ship that has such bad
joints. Do they just use the cheapest board-population company they can
find or what?)
Anyway, still no luck so I've ordered a new Bosch machine in case I
can't get this one working soon. If I can fix it, I'll cancel the
order. And I'll never buy a Hoover - anything - again. (If you read the
google archives, you'll find this is not the first time this machine
has broken down!)

Off to hit it with a big stick now... a -la Basil Fawlty!

Jon.

Mine also has a small solenoid which I think has something to do with
setting the time spent in each wash function. Might be worth checking.
It looks like a small DC model motor with a 3mm shaft, but it actually
slides axially. I never understood it all !.

john2