Bruce L. Bergman

Default Water main tool

On 4 Nov 2003 05:30:30 -0800, someone who calls themselves
(Joshua Shanks) wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message ...
Beecrofter wrote: The tool is called a "street key" In some places it is a
5 sided socket.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Five-sided sockets are universally used on fire hydrants, since no commonly
available wrench will fit. Seems to me that this would not be a good idea
for the main water valve to a house, since it would make emergency shut-off
difficult.

Thanks all you guys! I actually don't want to make or use one. The
water company left one in my yard when I moved into my house six years
ago, and despite numerous calls to them to come get it, they never
have. So, I decided to see what I could do with it. Doesn't sound
like much, though, if it's rebar. At least, not what *I* would do
with it, that being knifemaking. :-) But thanks all for your