Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default help my sanity-- spray paint troubles

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:40:39 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Response bottom-posted

Balderdash and poppycock. When I refinished the headlight buckets for my
Roadster, I sandblasted them, applied 2 coats of Rustoleum red primer,
then 2 coats of Rustoleum Copper Enamel. Once *dry*, the finish is
beautiful, and plenty hard. I test the finish as I type: Dragging the
thumbnail at right angles across the finish as hard as practical, the
finish is absolutely unmarked. I agree, however, Rustoleum is not as
hard as a good cured epoxy or urethane.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Don Foreman wrote:

RustOleum is more decorative than durable. Urethanes and epoxies are
much more durable.

Perhaps "durable" is a subjective term. If Rustoleum results are
acceptable, it is definitely more cost-effective. I use it on some
projects. There is no way I'd paint a car or any part of a car with
it, YMMV. Even acrylic enamel (e.g. Delstar) delivers considerably
better gloss (distinction of image) and durability than Rustoleum.