Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Removing Metal Strip in Door Cill

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:54:47 GMT, andy wrote:

I'm fitting a new allimim/UPVC back door which is the size of
existing internal door frame but I have to remove the metal upstand
strip in the existing wooden cill ..... not sure what the correct name
is for this
I can't see how this is fixed into cill or the depth etc. and could do
with some advice how to remove it to make way for new door frame.
Is it a hacksaw or chisel job ?
Any help would be most appreciated Cheers.

A rectangle of thin sheet metal. Mine's an old flat steel cabinet
scraper. A set of mole grips and a taper bladed lever (old
screwdriver).
Lay the steel sheet alongside the metal strip. Grip the unwanted metal
strip with the mole grips. lever between the square section of the
mole grips jaws and the sheet metal. Move along the length of the
strip easing it out a bit at a time. Expect to have to repair a little
damage. Minimise this by checking if any of the surrounding timber
starts to lift and if it does, tap it back with a block and hammer as
you go.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack