Dev Null

Default Too Much Flex in Aluminum Tubing

domain (qedude) wrote in
:

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having. I
have a telescope mounted on a 54 inch tall, 3/16 inch wall, 8x8
square aluminum tube with 1.25 inch plates welded to the top and
bottom and bolted to 2/3 of a yard of concrete. The problem is I
am getting a little too much movement out of the tube and I need
to increase the stiffness of the tube. The ideal situation would
be to replace the tube with something larger but that's just not
possible at this point in time. I don't need a radical increase
in stiffness either so I think there is something I could do to
for a slight increase in stiffness. I need to kill low frequency
vibrations so please don't suggest sand or concrete, beside
concrete and alumimun don't get along with each other. Any ideas
? Would putting the tube under tension help ?

Scott Hogsten

Fill it with urethane foam. Insert through small hole to create
force when foam expands inside.