Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

Default Advice on rotary hammer and foundation drilling

On 2006-04-12, BobK207 wrote:

Too bad you already got you StrongWall I would have suggested a
ShearMax

ShearMax is a wood shear panel? I'm actually using a metal shear
panel with attached wood side bucks, the whole thing is only 12" wide.
Shearmax's website is rather rudimentary, but it seems to indicate
that their smallest product is 16" wide.

"Most of the holes I need to drill are for anchor bolts, which only
have to be 5/8", so they would only need a 3/4" hole. But I figure it
would be simpler to just do everything with 3/4" rod in 7/8" holes."

Use the rod size they suggest, the smaller rod with be more forgiving
with respect to placement & fit up

Right, the Simpson Steel StrongWall calls for 3/4" rod, so I know I
have to do 3/4" rod. The other holes are just for anchor bolts for
the 2x6 mudsill (at least every 4', and 6"-12" from each end), which
are required to be at least 5/8". I was planning to use 3/4" anchor
bolts for simplicity.

Cheers, Wayne