Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Is this true about HD ????

What makes you think they _aren't_ willing to learn English?

Learning languages takes time.

They're just further back on the assimilation curve. Give them time.

Gee whiz guys, it's not as if the Irish, Italians and other waves of
immigrants
were able to instantly abandon their native language within days of
arriving.
They had stores they could go to and speak their own language, just as
the latinos
do now. They _still_ do.

While there is nothing wrong with speaking their native language,
assimilation is faster if they do take the time to learn English. Some will,
others won't. Some truly try, but there are some that after 10+ years in
this country will make no effort at al. They are doomed to the more menial
jobs and a lower standard of living.

No matter what country you go to, knowing the native or most used language
is a huge help with communications. Picking crops and doing yard work takes
little language skills. Supervising and interfacing with customers and
managers certainly does. At any given time, we have people speaking three
to five languages where I work. The ones that also speak English tend to
help the others, but also seem to take advantage of them as far as living
quarters, rides to work, shopping, etc.