Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Default Tankless Water Heaters

80 degree basement??????? Holy S^&% Batman - where the heck do you live that
your basement gets to 80? Even around here in central Ohio I don't think
even a partially exposed basement would get that hot on the hottest day of
summer!

All that said about heat loss from the storage tank I have to wonder. My
tank is in the basement where it is a pretty constant 60-70 degrees most the
time (I keep the heat off in winter and A/C on part way in summer to help
with moisture). I do spend a good bit of time down there and recently have
been listening for the tank to cycle thru when no water has been used. It
seems that it normally goes several hours before having to recover.

Based on this, I think the bigger loss I'd like to avoid is that which
occurs between the tank and the faucet. Not that I think there is any way
to prevent the loss between water uses - even insulated pipes will only hold
the heat for a short time - but if I'm losing 5-10 degrees while the water
runs from the tank and the faucet during each use and I can eliminate that,
I can set the tank that much cooler and save on both - the overall cost of
the hot I use, and the cost of keeping the tank hot bwtween uses.

Comments?

Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
standby tank heat lost isnt wasted enegy in tthe winter since it helps
heat your home.

only in the summer is it wasted and since the entire building is warmer
the loss is less.

a 120 degree heater sitting in a 40 degree home looses lots more
standby heat than the same 120 degree heater sitting in a 80 degree
basement

there are super high gas condensing hot water tanks that elminate the
standing pilot and are fan vented like 90+ furnaces these 98% efficent
hot water tanks are a good solution. Pelonis is one brand

at very low flows a tankless may not trip on leaving you with cold
water for say a sink.