Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Mulvey

Default Advice on rotary hammer and foundation drilling

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

As part of a remodel project and reconfiguring an exterior wall, I
need to drill some 7/8" holes in my foundation to epoxy in 3/4"
threaded rod. So I got an SDS rotary hammer and an 18" long 7/8"
carbide hammer bit. I've never done this job before, so I'm looking
for some advice.

Why can't you use wedge anchors?

For example, how will I know if I hit a piece of the foundation rebar?
Hopefully this won't happen as long as I keep the new holes in line
with the existing anchor bolts. If I do hit a piece of rebar, is
there a way to drill through it? Most of my holes I could just move
over a bit, but two of them are tightly constrained and would be a
major design headache to move.

Thanks, Wayne

You know you hit when it seems you aren't drilling anymore. Just use less
pressure and you'll go right through it. Takes a bit longer than concrete is
all.

Tim