Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert

Default connect phonograph and reciever turns off

wrote:
My Yamaha reciever was working fine for years.
Then I connected a turntable to the phono jack.
The turntable works, the sound comes out, but within a few minutes the
reciever completely shuts off.

anyone know why?

My guess--and it's only a guess, based on very little information--is
that you did 'something' else when you hooked up the turntable.
Forgetting the turntable for a moment, the most common causes are
shorted speaker wires or overheating.

When you hooked up the turntable, did you have to stress the speaker
connections in order to gain access to the back? Did you place the
turntable on top of the receiver, blocking the cooling vents? Did you
possibly block (or stick something into) the fan (if it has one)?

Does the receiver work when you disconnect the turntable? Does the
shutdown occur when using functions other than phono? Does it sound
normal--in both sides--before it shuts off?

Much more info needed for remote diagnosis. There's no reason I can
think of, per se, for shutdowns caused by simply hooking up a turntable.

jak