Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.engineering.electrical
jakdedert

Default Any value in cleaning inside old monitor?

Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:54:47 GMT, ehsjr Gave
us:

I've cleaned a lot of them, but never for the sole
purpose of seeing if it affects picture quality.
It does not.

Sure it does. The collection of dust, and much of that moistened at
some point makes for a leaky anode supply and feed wire at the very
least. That makes for poor or shifted focus settings, and other
problems that less than your average video afficianado won't notice.

I (semi)regularly clean the insides of my desktop computers. Opening
up, reseating all boards and connectors is a good thing, IMO. In fact,
this particular computer had started having 'symptoms' a month or two ago.

I performed the above, and everything was set right again. There was a
lot of dust on the fans and quite a bit had caked up inside the power
supply (yes, I even opened up the ps).

I won't wait so long the next time....

But, no; to answer your question, I rarely clean the inside of my
monitors (unless I have to get inside to address some issue).

jak