Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Cutting sheetmetal roofing material

Pete C. wrote:
Steve wrote:

I have about 250 sheets of used (in good condition) 26 gage roofing
material. They are all 16ft long and I will need to cut many to other
lengths while adding a shop extention.

I have tried tin snips and these cause distortion of the ridges and
spreading of the ridge pattern, hence sheet width. Not much, but enough that
I get a "fan-out" effect in the width. Also unable to fit tightly to the
next upper sheets.

I also tried cutting with an hand operated electric sheer as well and got
similar results.

Abrasive cut-off leaves a burr on the edges and I can to a lot using a hand
grinder. Recipricating saw produces similar results.

I'm told the "pros" use a sheer with a die that matches the corrigations.
The best I could afford would be a treddle opportated squaring sheer and
with our a die, I would get poor results due to flattening by the sheer
blade.

Are there any other methods that I should try.? Perhaps a saw blade for my
skil saw??

Thanks,

Steve

A plasma cutter would do a good job of it.

Pete C.

RoyJ wrote:

Most of the roofing material is painted over galvanized, plasma will
burn the paint.

At 26 gauge I would expect any decent plasma cutter to cut so fast that
it would hardly touch the paint past the immediate cut area. As an
example, my Hypertherm manual indicates 26 gauge recommended parameters
of 25A arc current and 353 IPM travel speed.

Pete C.