Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
daestrom

Default Grey water heat exchanger GFX

wrote in message
In alt.solar.thermal wrote:

snip

I have always thought that greywater should be plumbed separately anyway,
allowing it to be used as desired for toilets and gardening.

I think in some areas there are plumbing code issues.

But I knew a retired engineer in Michigan that when he built his retirement
home, he had black water and grey water drains separated. Ran the black
water to a conventional septic system, and the greywater to a less involved
drywell/drain field.

After ten years, the septic system installer offered to open up the tank for
the 'ten-year warranty' inspection. When they did, it was remarkably
'clean' in that it did not have much silt or other 'non-degradables' in the
tank. Of course, the septic tank had a pretty low flow rate with just a
retired couple and no greywater.

I too have often thought this is a good idea. Especially when not on city
mains sewage.

daestrom