Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Keeley

Default Problems bending 0.080

cavelambwrote:
Terry Keeley wrote:
Need some sheets bent past 90 degrees to about 100 degrees and

since
I've done quite a bit of work on them I'm getting a little nervous
about breaking them. They are 10.5" wide where the bend will

be
and I've oriented the grain with the bend. Am I OK? Do I need to
anneal them first? Would heat from a torch help?

In the aviation world, we bend ACROSS the grain - not with
it...[/quote:2d8118cbd6]

Ya, I'm seeing that now that I do a little research. Tends to crack
easier with the grain, I just figured it'd bend better.

Got some test pieces to try, gonna anneal some with a torch and do
some others in my kiln, should know soon if the min. radius figures
quoted can be attained!